Well, Nathan recently “tagged” me and I have been remiss in not responding – until now. His tagging is for me to list my “top 5” of the greatest “side 1, track 1” songs of all time (you can read about his explanation here). Here’s his explanation of the rules:
The rules are simple: no compilations — it has to be the opening track on an original studio album. And it can’t have been released as a single beforehand. So, for instance, Rapper’s Delight by the Sugarhill Gang is excluded, as it was a single long before it appeared on a full LP format.
Pretty daunting task – but I am up for the challenge. Here’s my top 5 (so far), in no particular order:
- Sting Me – The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, Black Crowes (BTW, one of the best sophmore albums of all time)
- American Idiot – American Idiot, Green Day (amazing album)
- Highway to Hell – Highway to Hell, AC/DC (one of the greatest rock albums of all time – and I checked, the single was NOT released before the album )
- Statesboro Blues – The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East (Live), The Allman Brothers Band (the greatest live recording of all time, followed by “The Last Waltz”, The Band farewell album)
- Welcome to the Jungle – Appetite for Destruction, Guns n’ Roses (one of the greatest rock albums of all time; I still play it somewhat regularly; BTW, the first single released from this album was “It’s so Easy”, which didn’t crack the Billboard 100 – trivia question!)
OK, that’s my list – and as always, it is subject to change based on my moods :). What’s your list? Oh, and I guess I have to tag some folks for this: I am not much into tagging, so I tag anyone who reads this and wishes to respond (either here or on their own blogs).
I guess that’s not really tagging, is it? Sorry!
**Eat your spinach and you’ll grow up big and strong like Popeye. You’ll also end up with a girlfriend that looks like Olive Oyl.